Press Release: Looking Into You (due out April 1 from Music Road Records), the first ever tribute album honoring Jackson Browne, features 23 hits and deep album cuts alike from the songwriter's catalog. So many respected musicians wanted in - from Ben Harper, Don Henley with Blind Pilot and Lyle Lovett to Keb' Mo', Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen & Patti Scialfa, and Lucinda Williams - that it had to be a double-disc set to fit them all.
The mix of old friends and younger admirers, up-and-comers and fellow Rock and Roll Hall of Famers alike offer their own interpretations of Browne's songs, from his first album - 1972's 'Jackson Browne' - to 1996's politically-slanted 'Looking East.' Don Henley and young indie folk band Blind Pilot take on "These Days" - a song made popular in 1967 by Nico, six years before Browne released it himself - while Grammy-winning musician Keb' Mo' has a new take on the oft-covered "Rock Me On The Water." Bonnie Raitt and David Lindley perform "Everywhere I Go," Bruce Springsteen & Patti Scialfa recorded "Linda Paloma," and Paul Thorn tackled Browne's 1972 Billboard Top 10 hit, "Doctor My Eyes." As befits a Texas-based label, Music Road's 'Looking Into You' also features a healthy Lone Star contingent, including Eliza Gilkyson, Bob Schneider, J.D. Souther, Kevin Welch, Shawn Colvin, and Jimmy LaFave.
The album was conceived by Kelcy Warren, a longtime Browne fan and head of Music Road Records. Warren Co-Produced the album with Tamara Saviano, producer of a Grammy-winning Stephen Foster Tribute and a Grammy-nominated Guy Clark tribute, musician Jimmy LaFave, who performs "For Everyman" on the album (and is also Warren's partner in the label), and drummer-producer Scott Crago. Lyle Lovett has two tracks on the album because, as Saviano explains, no one could decide which of his recordings they liked better.
Saviano notes that the artist involvement on this album was much greater than on her previous projects, saying "In the past I used a house band and would create the arrangements ahead of time. But for this album we relied solely on the artists to create their own vision for the songs and gave them complete control over the instrumentation and arrangement." Saviano adds, "It was a challenge but it struck me how excited everyone was to honor Jackson in their own way."
Track listing from 'Looking Into You: A Tribute to Jackson Browne':
1. These Days - Don Henley w/ Blind Pilot
2. Everywhere I Go - Bonnie Raitt and David Lindley
3. Running On Empty - Bob Schneider
4. Fountain Of Sorrow - Indigo Girls
5. Doctor My Eyes - Paul Thorn
6. For Everyman - Jimmy LaFave
7. Barricades Of Heaven - Griffin House
8. Our Lady Of The Well - Lyle Lovett
9. Jamaica Say You Will - Ben Harper
10. Before The Deluge - Eliza Gilkyson
11. For A Dancer - Venice
12. Looking Into You - Kevin Welch
1. Rock Me On The Water - Keb' Mo'
2. The Pretender - Lucinda Williams
3. Rosie - Lyle Lovett
4. Something Fine - Karla Bonoff
5. Too Many Angels - Marc Cohn feat. Joan As Police Woman
6. Your Bright Baby Blues - Sean and Sara Watkins
7. Linda Paloma - Bruce Springsteen and Patti Scialfa
8. Call It A Loan - Shawn Colvin
9. I'm Alive - Bruce Hornsby
10. Late For The Sky - Joan Osborne
11. My Opening Farewell - JD Souther